Retaining walls provides the perfect lateral support to the soil masses. They are incredibly useful in preventing the sliding and erosion of the soil.
Depending on the site, several types of retaining walls are built like the cantilever walls, counterfort, and the gravity walls.
Educating yourself about the design and retaining wall installation may not sound compelling to you but if you are looking to build one, knowing the basics about the faulty design of the retaining walls can save you from the headaches later on.
In this post, we are going to elaborate on some of the mistakes that most companies make in building the retaining wall.
- Trusting the contractors: – Contractors alone should never be trusted for building a stable retaining wall. And the reasons are apparent. They possess limited knowledge about the construction site for the retaining wall and outsource the work to the manufacturer who will never hassle enough to know about the soil parameters of the retaining wall installation site.
- Lack of soil information: – The retaining wall to be built depends on the soil type. The soft and organic soil sometimes needs to be improved at the site. It is essential to design the wall according to the condition of the soil and not vice versa.
- 3. Underestimating the global stability analysis: – If you are concerned about the micro rotation of walls and the soil behind it, then a GSA is must. Most contractors are inefficient (and careless too) in checking the global stability analysis. Global stability analysis gives predictions about the probability of remotest damage to the retaining wall in the near future due to the soil type and climatic conditions.
- Regulations and restrictions: – Although this is the job of the contractors, sometimes you need to put an extra effort from your end to know about the homeowner’s association regulations concerning the restrictions or guidelines you may have to adhere to for building the retaining walls.
- Lack of adequate footings: – Retaining walls exert a substantial force on the ground. A foundation is imperative to bear that load. A foundation of three times the width of the retaining wall is necessary. Pertaining to adequate footings will eventually cause the retaining walls to crumble sooner than later.
- Drainage: – Clogged up water in the soil can weaken the retaining wall over a period of time. It is essential that the drainage system not expel out the water straight away onto the retaining wall.
Crumbling of the retaining wall blocks
There are a plethora of reasons for the retaining wall blocks to crumble in future. Most prominent reasons include not assessing the site conditions thoroughly, choosing the building material arbitrarily and inadequate footings.
Call us for Retaining wall installation
Eco-engineering solutions provide quality analysis and construction of the retaining wall all over Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates.
To get a free consultation and consultation for building the retaining walls, give us a call on +971 2 6500855, and our sales team will get in touch with you.